SERMON APPLICATION QUESTIONS
- In this section, does Jesus condemn wealth or possessions? (1 Timothy 6:6-8)
- What is it that Jesus does condemn? (Proverbs 23:4)
- How we view money/possessions is a good indicator of where we are spiritually. Discuss why this is true.
- Why is it that the citizens of the kingdom of God lay up for themselves treasures in heaven as opposed to the citizens of the kingdom of this world who lay up for themselves treasures on earth?
- Our Lord uses the eye (healthy vs. blind) to illustrate that how one views his treasures indicates whether or not he has rightly responded to the gospel. Explain.
- In Matthew 6:24, Jesus reveals that you can only serve one of two masters: God or money/possessions. Or to put it another way, either God sits on the throne of your heart (you love God with all your heart, mind, body and soul) or you sit on the throne of your own heart (you love self with all your heart). Discuss why it is impossible to simultaneously serve God and self.
- Using the 3 illustrations given by Jesus (treasures, eyesight, and masters) examine your own heart as to whether or not you are truly a child of the kingdom. Note: All true Christians struggle in these areas but the desire of their heart is kingdom focused.