Sermon 15: "Fasting Without Hypocrisy" Back to all sermons
SERMON APPLICATION QUESTIONS
- Apart from today, when was the last time you heard a sermon on the subject of fasting?
- What is fasting?
- It was mentioned several times throughout the message that we are to fast for _____________ purposes.
- List several reasons we might incorporate fasting as a regular part of our walk with the Lord. ? (1 Samuel 7:5-6; Isaiah 58:6-8)
- Almost without exception we discover that “prayer” and “fasting” go hand and hand. Why is prayer an integral part of fasting?
- Do we find anywhere in the New Testament a command to fast?
- Do the teachings of the New Testament expect that the Christian will fast as part of the Christian life? (Matthew 6:16-17; Matthew 9:14-16)
- What does Jesus mean when He teaches His disciples not to fast to be seen by others?
- Discuss reasons why fasting is rarely practiced in the church today?
- If you do not currently practice fasting, consider starting a “fast” for some spiritual purpose. (The spread of the gospel among your family members and the world, your church leaders, a particular sin which you have a hard time overcoming, unity in the church, missions, etc.)